Young adult dating violence is a big problem, affecting youth in every community across the nation. Learn the facts:
- One in three young people are a victim of physical, sexual, emotional or verbal abuse from a dating partner, a figure that far exceeds rates of other types of youth violence.
- One in 10 secondary school students has been purposefully hit, slapped or physically hurt by a boyfriend or girlfriend.
Why Focus on Young People?
- Violent behavior typically begins between the ages of 12 and 18.
- Girls and young women between the ages of 16 and 24 experience the highest rate of intimate partner violence — almost triple the national average.
- Among female victims of intimate partner violence, 94% of those age 16-19 and 70% of those age 20-24 were victimized by a current or former boyfriend or girlfriend.
- Violent relationships in teen years can have serious ramifications by putting the victims at higher risk for substance abuse, eating disorders, risky sexual behavior and further domestic violence.
- Being physically or sexually abused makes teen girls six times more likely to become pregnant and twice as likely to get a STI
- Half of youth who have been victims of both dating violence and rape attempt suicide, compared to 12.5% of non-abused girls and 5.4% of non-abused boys.
Lack of awareness
- Only 33% of teens who were in a violent relationship ever told anyone about the abuse.
- Eighty-one (81) percent of parents believe teen dating violence is not an issue or admit they don’t know if it’s an issue.
- Though 82% of parents feel confident that they could recognize the signs if their child was experiencing dating abuse, a majority of parents (58%) could not correctly identify all the warning signs of abuse.
You Are Not Alone – (YANA) is an educational short film that highlights the unbalanced dynamics within abusive relationships between teenagers
The narrative explores the story of a young girl named Alex, who has been in a relationship with someone who has an unhealthy control over her. Due to this, many areas of her life, especially her academic performance in school becomes affected by this.
YANA The Film & Education package is available from June 2018
Get in touch with YANA Project